Review: TonyMoly eggpore Blackhead Out Oil Gel + Silky Smooth Balm


    Finally got around to reviewing these - eggs from the ever popular eggpore line xD There are three eggs in the line:


    I don't have the tan egg in the middle - the Tightening Pack (Cosmetic Candy's review of all three) - but I hear it's pretty good.  Normally, these eggs are used in the order shown above to "maximize" effectiveness.  The white egg removes blackheads, the brown egg tightens your cleaned pores, and the golden egg is a MAKEUP (not a skincare) product that fills in enlarged pores/wrinkles/textured scars to create a smooth canvas for makeup.  I have no particular reason why I only picked up two of the three eggs...I think I just chose based on color ^^


    Purchased: In Korea but these are easily bought online via Sasa ($12-$14.60) or YesStyle ($17-$18).  Sasa has better prices, as usual.

    Packaging: Nice n' sturdy.  Each egg is pretty big, it can be a bother to store really.  Otherwise it's well-made and very cute.  However, I deeply dislike how I have to dip my fingers into the jars. I know I border on germ-o-phobic but considering the fact that blackheads stem from dirt, it just seems counter-intuitive to have pore-reducing products in a jar form where there is ample opportunity to infect it with dirt and such >.<  But that said - just wash your hands or use a spoon.

    Also WHERE ARE THE SEEDS ;_;? In retrospect, of course they wouldn't include seeds with a makeup item but I found it strangely disappointing :(


    Blackhead Out Oil Gel

    Containing Egg elements and Magic capsules which remove dead skin cells and excessive sebum. The oil gel effectively purifies the whiteheads, blackheads, excessive sebum and trapped dirt in the deep pores. Pore trouble care solution helps to purify the skin, manages dead skin cells, provide nutrients and protects skin from further damages. It also improves various skin troubles with its unique lightweight jelly-like texture and helps to keep skin looking clean and clear. Camellia Flower extract soothe and calms the skin. - TonyMoly
    Scent: Strong artificial flowers?  Not a bad scent but it's not pleasing either since it's quite strong.

    Texture: Gel-like with an oil-y feel.  Or as TonyMoly says, a "jelly-like" texture.  Has little orange balls (TonyMoly calls them "magic balls" *oooo*) and grains of sand? in it.

    Experience: It definitely has an oil slick feel to it.  The smell was quite strong out of the jar but faded after you put it on the face.  Below you can see my brother's nose (he is my perennial guinea pig ^_~) who has a blackhead problem on his nose :P He touches his face way~ too much.  Anyway, he washed his face and dried it.  The gel oil went on clear but while massaging for a bit, it foamed into a milky white. 


    He said that there was no residue and there was no irritation. On the downside, we didn't see much change at all :\  Given the pics above was after only one treatment but still....   The blackheads look a little smaller, but I don't know if that's me hallucinating. My brother thinks it didn't change at all :\  We've given this 2 more tries after the pics above and I still didn't see any drastic changes.   My brother's blackheads are pretty severe in my book so I expected to see a more noticeable improvement :P

    Claims:
    - remove dead skin cells and excessive sebum 
    • <--- It did remove as much oil and dead skin cells as it would've if I'd just washed my face with soap and water I think.
    - purifies the whiteheads, blackheads, excessive sebum and trapped dirt in the deep pores 
     <--- it did remove some blackheads.  My brother doesn't have to any whiteheads but those are usually easier to remove.
    - purify the skin, manages dead skin cells, provide nutrients and protects skin from further damages 
    • <--- This is something that you can only confirm over time and tbh I sort of doubt it.
    - improves various skin troubles with its unique lightweight jelly-like texture 
    • <--- This IS a moisturizing sort of product since it has an oily component.  But "improve various skin troubles"? Sounds vague to me.
    - helps to keep skin looking clean and clear 
    • <--- As would any product that removes blackheads.
    - soothe and calms the skin  
    • <--- Uhmmm I guess it could but I wouldn't put this on irritated skin intentionally.
    Eh...Korean skincare packaging can be so wordy -_-

    Overall
    I don't recommend this.  Given that my bro's blackheads are severe, the fact that we saw only minimal improvement (if any), I doubt people with fewer blackheads will be satisfied.  Overall, I just think it's an ineffectual product.  You'd probably get better results just steaming your face/massaging your face with a hot cloth.

    Silky Smooth Balm

    Art skin gel balm type primer conceals the enlarged pores, fine wrinkles and minor scars to give the skin a velvety smooth, soft and silky look. The combination of Porous powder and Selemin AN manages the excessive sebum and tightens the enlarged pores. Applying the balm helps the base makeup to be applied and glide on smoothly. In addition, Camellia Flower extract and Skin Growth Complex manages dead skin cells and strengthen elasticity of skin for an optimum skin-tightening effect. - TonyMoly
    Scent: Very mild, delicate floral?  Not quite floral but it's very faint and pleasing.

    Texture: Velvety, silky texture.  It's silicone-based so it has a smooth slickness when you rub it on your face.  Your face doesn't "absorb" this primer as much as it sinks into any pores/wrinkles and fill them in.

    Experience: You use this after moisturizer and before foundation.  If you've tried the Lioele Secret Pore Rich Balm or Boscia Skin Perfecting Primer, this is pretty much exactly like those.  All fill pores nicely and set transparently so any skin color can use it.  You can wear this alone and it helps smooth out your complexion by filling in the "holes" that create "shadows" on your face (those with pitted scars know what I mean ^_^).  However, it will not cover colored blemishes though this does allow things like concealer and foundation to cover colored blemishes more easily since it creates a smoother canvas.  I think that these primers are prone to caking so just remember a little goes a long way.  And keep in mind, this won't fill in anything wider than 2-3mm wide.  I have some pitted scars around my temples and this does settle in those hollows but so "much" balm settles in there that it rolls off when I'm putting on BBcream or powder.  So, yeah.  This will only work on enlarged pores and small scars.

    Claims:
    - conceals the enlarged pores, fine wrinkles and minor scars to give the skin a velvety smooth, soft and silky look 
    • <-- I would say yes :)
    - manages the excessive sebum and tightens the enlarged pores 
    • <-- arghhh...pores cannot "tighten"!  But yes, there was a tiny bit of oil reduction, prolly since all the pores are being blocked by this balm ^^
    - helps the base makeup to be applied and glide on smoothly 
    • <-- Yes! Very much so.
    - manages dead skin cells and strengthen elasticity of skin for an optimum skin-tightening effect  
    • <---uhmm...what? I'm not sure how this "manages dead skin cells."  I think over time this may strengthen skin elasticity and skin-tightening, but I'm not sure.

    Overall
    This is one of those products that I do think works pretty well but I wouldn't buy again for personal reasons:
    1.) The effect of this balm is minimal on me because large pores/wrinkles aren't a problem (colored scars are).
    2.) I'm too lazy to add an entire step to my makeup routine for what I think is a fairly minimal effect.
    3.) I'm not crazy about the idea of using a primer with a silicone base everyday.  I feel like my skin won't be able to breathe (tho I admit that could be me being overly paranoid).
    I would recommend that people try this if they specifically have enlarged pores and/or fine (not severe) wrinkles.  Little ice pick scars would be nicely covered by this too.   If you have general acne scars (aka red spots) or deep, wide scars this will not work well for you; you will be better off with concealers.  If you have rough patches on your face this might work though I'm not sure since I don't have rough patches myself.

    If you like the Lioele Secret Pore Rich Balm ($27.50) or Boscia Skin Perfecting Primer ($28), this is a very good dupe, especially since the TonyMoly primer is quite a bit cheaper.  The Lioele version smells a bit more fruity and the Boscia has its trademark clean scent.   All three fill in pores and minor scars quite well, a little goes a long way, and can be used by those of any skin color.  Honestly, after trying all three, besides the scent I'm convinced that these primers are all the same :\ 
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid 

Display Banner

Total Pageviews