Review: Maybelline The Falsies Volum'Express Washable Mascara

    Hi everyone~ I thought I'd do a quick review on the Maybelline The Falsies Volum'Express (Very Black) mascara.  I bought it at Walmart for ~$6ish on whim, mostly because I wanted to try something new and I needed a mascara.  On Makeup Alley it got a 3.4/5.

    Maybelline says....
    - Patented Spoon brush and Kera-fiber formula instantly build 8x more volume without clumping. 
    - Unique flexible wand helps to lift and separate lashes to provide the look of 300% more lashes.
    - Ophthalmologist tested.
    - Contact lens safe


    Directions: Hold brush with spoon side against lashes and sweep from root to tip to fill in gaps and coat each lash with Kera-fiber formula. Repeat until false lash look is achieved. Do not let dry between coats.

    Such a bulky tube but the tube's color is pretty stylin' ^^ Some complaints are that this mascara tends to clump and I suppose that it does a bit. But honestly, any (somewhat) volumizing mascara with fibers in it are prone to clumping but it's nothing you can't solve with a little eyelash comb.  I've tried the famous Imju Dejavu Fiberwig mascara and that was a hella clumpier and twice more expensive (I bought it for $15 at the Narita Airport in Japan).

    One coat.
    Experience: I'm lucky to have pretty long lashes to begin with but this does provide a noticeable difference when I put it on.  I don't think this formula is clumpy enough to complain about at all and I really think the trick is to not let the mascara dry during application - aka put it on fast.  I'll try this and update this page if this works.  Overall, the application was smooth and for me, one coat was quite sufficient.  I really like the glossy finish and lash separation. I have to admit it does have a mild "falsie" look but is not overdone.  FYI I don't particularly fancy false lashes, mostly on the principles that it's too much of a bother to put on every day and that I think they tend to look great in photos but too dramatic (even the modest ones) for daily use.   Anyways, since this mascara lengthens more than volumizes I think, it can look spidery if not applied properly. Removal was very easy. Like the Imju Dejavu, it came off very easily with lukewarm water, I just had to gently rub it off.

    One coat. Eh, a little on the spidery side. Wish it volumized more but it's alright I suppose :)
    This definitely lengthens and volumizes (to a lesser degree) and for the price, it does everything promised.  However, Clumps of Mascara says that it does start clumping after 2 coats and imho does not volumize very much so for people looking for something really dramatic you should probably look elsewhere. But for someone looking for an easy to apply and remove one coat mascara that definitely lengthens and modestly volumizes for every day wear, this is a good one :)

    Overall: I'm not really familiar with many mascaras, but it does the job for a good price.   You may not be blown away by this, but I don't think you'll be disappointed either.  I recommend this for those looking for natural lengthening and lift.  Removal is easy so this is also great for the lazy makeup wearer ;) Overall, I do recommend this and it is the only mascara I use (when I remember to use mascara at all).

    Clumps of Mascara did a good review of this mascara too.

    Lens: GEO CK-105

    UPDATE 9/20/2010 - so the secret is wiggling the wand and applying the mascara really fast - as in, swipe/wiggle, swipe/wiggle to prevent clumping.  Slowing down causes clumps AND flaking right away :P  Not for the slow-mascara-applier.  Loving how easy it is to wipe off and how there is no flaking when applied properly :} Great lengthen-er but try as I might, this is definitely not a volume mascara.

    UPDATE 2/17/2011 - Xteeener's review on three of Maybelline's mascaras, including this one.  She mentions that The Falsies clump less over time (as the formula dries out).
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid 

Display Banner

Total Pageviews